Saturday, May 9, 2015

making room

so, the sewing won out. no surprise there! this room is officially becoming a sewing room, no longer a split-personality dining/sewing room. it doesn't look too different yet and there is a lot of work to go, but i've begun the process of transitioning this room into a full-fledged, dedicated sewing room. and begun bringing everything down here from my bawthroom sewing space. if i'm going to have a sewing room, all my stash is going to be in it. so far, i've shortened the dining table (which will be leaving eventually) and turned it around. i moved my low shelves to create a cutting space (on the right). i want to build a new pressing table that's better proportioned to the room and will allow me to store boxes under it, but for now the ironing board is still holding it up. the design walls have been propped up on the actual walls where they will go but still need attaching and some extending. there is still so much to do. this weekend my dad is supposed to put together some more shelves for me to go under that back design wall. this is the tip of the iceberg, but it already feels good to have it started and to know where i'm heading.

something i realized while moving everything around: i have way too much fabric. it's helped curb my buying appetite tremendously to once again rifle through what i already own.

there is another new addition to the room, too: a sewing space for d4, my bestest little sewing buddy.

 last week, we finally got back my old Little (Pink) Brother machine, which i'm giving to her (but still retaining rights to). poor little (pink) brother fell out of the back window of the suburban last fall and has needed repair ever since. frankly, i was surprised and relived it could be salvaged after a four foot fall onto the driveway. but it's all better now and ready for her to sew on. i put a small table and chair in one corner of the room and this is her spot.

she's been enthusiastically trying out lots of different stitches and supposedly practicing sewing a straight line. i have to say that i didn't realize how much i love and value the auto thread cutter and knee lift bar on my juki until i was helping her get set up on this machine. goodness, what a lot of time is spent in those simple functions when you don't have the auto option!

 she picked out a mini charm pack to make into a doll quilt and had so much fun laying it out on the design wall.

i love watching her work and listening to all her humming or funny comments to herself while she plays with fabric.

sharing this space with her makes it that much more enjoyable.

3 comments:

  1. What a beautiful thing - both the room and the space for your daughter. I love that she wants to learn and design and create with you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that is just way too adorable!! Well done on the decision by the way, a dedicated space for sewing will see your project rate soar I imagine. I shared my space with the office equipment/computers and gaming space for children, now the computer has moved out and the whole space is mine!! Shelving was the must have then I could stop storing in boxes and loosing things. I am a visual type person, if I don't see it I will forget it, so storage has to be open shelving for me. I look forward to seeing the dolls quilt too, children are fabulous at free colour combinations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so sweet that your daughter is making a doll quilt. Enjoy your sewing space, I know the two of you will have so much fun together :)

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete

a kind word is always appreciated. thank you for your visit.