Friday, February 25, 2011

mommies multi-task

a few years ago i started doing my online writing without caps because i was often on the computer answering emails while trying to nurse a baby. it just simplified life a bit for me. the habit stuck and still comes in useful, especially when i'm required to do some holding and typing simultaneously.

there's nothing like being a mom. it comes first in my book. but sometimes it's nice to be able to do small mommy tasks at the same time i'm doing something i wanted to do for me.  i'm always up for a cuddle with a sweet little warm body while i type a blog post. for a while i've brought reading with me while i sit by the tub and the kids bathe. now of course, my sewing table is right there and i sew while they get clean. being a hobby photographer and a mom goes together perfectly, too. what more beautiful, motivating subjects could you find than your own kids?

 moms are pretty good at multi-tasking, even when it's not combining fun with work. but there are always the times when we have to stop our tasks and focus on the children, even if it's just for a snuggle when they're sleepy or when they need a story. i don't want them to think i'm not available when they need me or that they are less important than what i'm doing. sewing is not compatible with baby holding. that's when i have to put their needs first and put the stitching down. reminding myself how fast my motherhood years have already flown by and how short are those left helps me shift my focus back to them.

i just read a quote from the famous english preacher and hymn writer, john newton, author of amazing grace. he was constantly interrupted by parishioners needing his assistance. he said something to the effect that "when i hear that knock on my door, i know God is going to teach me something." i'm as guilty as anyone of ignoring my kids at times or getting grumpy and frustrated when they interrupt my creative flow. i'm trying hard to teach myself not to be.

designer heather ross just posted a funny description of her dog's reaction when time slips away from her and he feels neglected. she's pregnant with her first baby. i wonder how she'll cope with mommy multi-tasking? we all have to find our way to a balance that's right for us. congratulations and good luck to heather. i'm sure she'll be brilliant with mommy multi-tasking just like she is with all her other creative pursuits. can't wait to see her new children's book!

1 comment:

  1. I can relate so much to this post! Thank you for your kind comments on my blog. I'm going to follow yours - look forward to seeing what projects you are working on.

    ReplyDelete

a kind word is always appreciated. thank you for your visit.