Tuesday, November 25, 2014

around the sewing room

 for whatever reason, as i was walking past my dining/sewing room the other day, i decided to pause a moment and take photos of the various bits and pieces of the room. sometimes i like to just look at different parts of my sewing process or set up, and consider the individual components of my hobby. as one who likes to capture moments and pieces in pixels, i just decided to photograph it all, too.

"bandwidth" has occupied my sewing time for more than a month, and, happily, is finally quilted and awaiting binding. yay! time to move on to something besides orange and navy. also captured here: the way the afternoon sun moves across my sewing area and has to be blocked if i want to work (hence the sewing machine cover in front of the machine); the endless supply of soccer balls that my kids always kick into (and leave) in my sewing space.

 all the little tools and necessities i keep close at hand by the machine: pin cushions for various pins and needles, a tray for tidiness, indispensable snips, ott light, my tool caddy. and a bracelet i shed while sewing. i always seem to do that.

 my recipe stand-turned-pattern-and-ruler-holder, currently sporting the gypsy wife pattern, photos of various wips that i use for reference, and my quilting sketch book/idea journal where i work out my ideas and maths.

 design wall where s1's wonky coins quilt awaits (so there is lots more navy and orange in my near future after all), a msih-mash of scraps where d4 was playing at making a quilt top for "a sick little child", and the beginnings of my indian blanket quilt taunt me.

 the pressing board area: gypsy wife blocks all gathered in a pile to make room on the design wall (how they landed here, i'm not sure?); d4's pile of scraps and pins for that "sick child" quilt she's designing nearby; rulers that were flattening blocks; a little chicken costume shed late on halloween and still hanging around; something super precious in that white bag on the floor - how did that get here?; and some bins of scraps and charity quilt yardage waiting their turn.

lastly, just above the cutting mat: some dishes that hold my cutting scraps (hsts in the green dish and little strips in the white); marking and cutting tools i want at hand but out of reach of little fingers;  and the rulers presently in use at the cutting mat. oh, and something special hiding behind there, to be highlighted another day.

what are the little stories your space tells?

3 comments:

  1. It is so interesting to see sewing spaces. Sometimes the photos are beautiful but everything is so tidy. I really enjoyed seeing the reality of sewing with the blocks on the design wall, notions and fabrics all left where they were last used. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a much more realistic view of what sewing spaces look like and I love that you shared it. My cutting table has a small radio that I can dock my phone on to listen to music; I feel that makes my sewing room more 'me'. Sometimes I shut the door when I'm in there -- even if I'm the only one home -- turn on the music and sew away. It's like my own little retreat! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mine needs to be a tad more organized before I start sharing but I love seeing how others use their sewing space. And I like seeing your quilts in their different stages on the design board.
    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete

a kind word is always appreciated. thank you for your visit.