This is just a little doll quilt that looks like it could even be one single block. But it's my first official attempt at FMQ. And it's the only thing I have to report after a few weeks off of sewing. We hit the beach at the beginning of the month and despite the fact that I took a whole box of little items to work on in the car or condo, I didn't touch any of it. Back home now and getting myself back into my self-imposed sewing load.
Because it's WIP Wednesday, I'm linking in with Lee and gang at freshly pieced.
And that's not even saying what happened at the machine. I couldn't get the bobbin thread to come up to the top for the life of me. I had to remove everything and dig into the bowels of the machine to see what was going on in the bobbin. And it was filthy with lint down there, which required a good 15 minute clean out. Once I got the bobbin fixed, it was back to the top. Working around that darn open-toe foot was miserable. I think I really am going to cut mine apart like Leah recommends doing in her class. Finally, though, FINALLY, everything got into place and I started sewing.
I was using the Supreme Slider, as recommended by several people, but something felt more restrained this time than I remember from my previous experience. Anyway, I got to work and it wasn't going too badly.
Here's what I've learned so far:
- Going over the seams makes for tension problems on the back.
- I prefer to move back and forth with the previous stitches at the top so I can see where they are. If they are under where I'm working, I don't do as well with spacing.
- I like working at the top speed when my machine is set at medium speed (there are 3 speed settings on my machine)
- working in rows is great
- slow starts make for big starting stitches on my machine (opposite of what Leah said)
- and . . .
my wip for the week:
doll quilt: stipple quilted!
romance in the garden: nothing
trips to the store: none
picked up a few new Craftsy classes that were on sale
purchased some amy butler and anna maria horner from Fabric.com
started using a new green pitcher for containing my thread scraps
my doll quilt still needs binding. up next, i'm going to stipple my other doll quilt for more practice and then tackle a real quilt. I think i'm going to stipple "romance in the garden" before I do "taite" because it's not quite as important to me. I really want to get "taite" right. wish me luck!